Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Book Review: Capitalism and Progress

Authored by Professor of Economic Theory at the Free University of Amsterdam Bob Goudzwaard, Capitalism and Progress provides a penetrating analysis into one of the foremost economic systems of the Western world. Goudzwaard's basic premise, which is the West's faith in progress - thus blinding its civilization to more fundamental human limitations - is both a reminder and rebuke to our modern, technocratic society which attempts to master nature, but in the process of doing so, have led to a razing of values, norms and institutions that provide its existence with meaning.

I bought this book about three weeks ago - half-expecting myself not to finish the book (as with the case with many other books), but the breadth, complexity and his ability to weave multiple threads together into a poignant argument, was simply compelling. More helpfully, Goudzwaard writes simply and honestly thus ensuring the book reads, not like a piece of academic work, but with the heart of a writer whose thoughts form the bedrock of his words.

I would recommend this book to all - regardless of their faiths - who are becoming increasingly disillusioned with the economic patterns of modern society, and are in the search for answers, and "substantial healing" in economic life.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Benjamin,
Read your comment on my blog, thanks! Quite surprised you visited the HK Central Library, it's not really a place that most tourists go to. Anyway yeah I love that library, used to spend a lot of time there, and probably will. Thanks for recommending Rookmaaker's oomplete works, it seems to be the second time! Right now I've got quite a lot on my hands with the book on art from the christian perspective that you've passed me, but when I need a more in-depth look into this topic in future I will remember Rookmaaker.
I see you have been reading too, but econs and capitalism aren't a high priority subject on my reading list, so I can't comment... anyway have fun with one of life's greatest pleasures: Reading.

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home