Friday, December 10, 2010

Mobile Off

As some of you might know, i lost my mobile phone several months ago and decided that it would be interesting to live life without a mobile connection. Obviously i got quite a bit of flak from some of my close friends and even relatives for not being contactable (of course then again, none of us are ever that indispensable - life generally goes on pretty well, and things happen whether you are contactable or not). As i've decided to retrieve my mobile line again, here are some reflection points that have crystallized over the past few months:

1. The Tyranny of Convenience: No doubt about it; mobile phones have made life extremely convenient for many of us. There were several occasions in which I was forced to use a payphone (yes, they still do exist at MRT stations) to contact my friends. Just a few days ago, i had to borrow a mobile phone from an unknown stranger (female) who looked at me as if i was from Mars on a social experiment when i requested to borrow her phone. But having said so, I do appreciate the heightened requirement of being compelled to plan when meeting with people - this includes being punctual, being true to one's words about the meeting venue. All these may sound quite trivial in nature, but in the long run, these are the things that build up trust among friends. The price of convenience is often the loss of trust.

2. Seeing, hearing and knowing. Over the last few months, i had many good conversations with close friends and colleagues and its thoroughly amazing how these conversations become much more richer when technology is out of the way. All too often we see big groups of friends eating around a table and half (if not more) of them would be busily texting away! Without a phone as a mental distraction, i found myself being able to be much more observant and sensitive to human emotions and behavioral nuances. Its amazing how much more in tune with people one becomes when one learns to tune out of technology.

3. Last but not least, the use of pen and paper (to replace my mobile phone) has allowed me to better articulate my thoughts. i guess when we are busily SMSing, we don't usually learn to express ourselves clearly. Clarity of thought is now being replaced by fuzzy ambiguities. The power of the spoken word is now replaced by the effect of the SMS-text - which tends to obfuscate more than it clarifies.

I could go on...but that will be for more private conversations. In light of the above, there are few things that I hope to continue to do:

1. Switching off my mobile phone before I go to sleep (unless exigencies necessitate otherwise).

2. Not using SMS to arrange meetings. Its either calling the person to arrange or to pre-arrange in person. Sometimes we need to learn how to communicate, not just connect.

3. No using mobile phone when I am meeting with other people (SMS is an absolute nono) personally. The other person(s) deserves my undivided attention and I hope that he/she will also reciprocate. In a large anonymous environment, perhaps i might allow myself to do so - esp if the meeting is boring and I desperately need to keep awake!

4. Phone numbers to be stored in my diary instead of phone book. over the past few months, I've learnt to memorize the phone numbers of others - esp close friends. As such, i will resist keying other's phone numbers in my mobile phones. Again its the principle of convenience: the less convenient, the more valuable.

5. Limiting my SMSes to short ones. Seriously, if there is something so important to say, then one ought to say in person, or at least take the effort to make a phone call. I am hoping to keep my SMS responses to a minimum; ideally to these five words: yes, no, thanks, ok and noted. We shall see.

Some concluding words from two of my favourite writers:

"But when technique enters into every area of life, including the human, it ceases to be external to man and becomes his very substance. It is no longer face to face with man, but is integrated with him, and it progressively absorbs him" (Jacques Ellul, The Technological Society, p. 6 1964)

"New technologies alter the structure of our interests, the things we think about. They alter the character of our symbols: the things we think with. And they alter the arena of community: the arena in which thoughts develop" (Neil Postman, Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology, p. 20, 1992)


5 Comments:

Blogger Mejlina Tjoa said...

Welcome back to the world of mobile connectivity, Ben! I agree convenience sacrifices depth.

I guess there's no hard and fast rules on how technology, or in this case, a mobile phone, should be used but technology should save us time on logistics and the less important stuffs so that we can use the time saved for the more important. However what tends to happen is we clutter our lives with more and more 'convenient' stuffs and become more time-poor than ever before for real thinking and communication.

Does that mean I'm expecting a call and not sms from you when visiting Singapore? =P

5:05 PM  
Anonymous jennifer joy said...

Communication takes all forms; including not communicating. I reflected on your off-mode and reckoned you have communicated already. Shhhh... Do Not Disturb.

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Sue said...

this time, try take Iphone instead of others, it'll challenge you again. :)

12:44 AM  
Blogger Gideon Teo said...

Be, Gideon here (Alex Chua's friend and fellow Credo500 contributor). Been trying to get in touch and have a meal w you. =) Kindly give me a call at 81386396 to arrange since no SMS is allowed. =)

Looking forward to hear from you bro. Blessings.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Morgan engineering has become one of the most technologically advanced general engineering firms in NSW Australia. We are specializing in general engineering NSW, liquid nitrogen suppliers, mobile line boring, CNC machining service, weld reclamation and metal fusion spraying.

Mobile Line Boring

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home